I'm a fairly new Fellow (please be gentle with me).
I want to take advantage of my newness before I forget what it feels like and suggest that there might be ways that new Fellows could be supported as part of the induction process. If the suggestions fall on fertile ground I'm happy to devote some time to helping that happen.
I was fortunate enough to attend an excellent New Fellows event a bit more than a week ago, which has coincided with me shifting from being a pretty passive member to someone ready to engage with activity. I know for sure that some new Fellows are waiting to attend such an event, I'm hoping that this discussion might end up with activating more Fellows more quickly after joining (ahead of New Joiner events).
This is NOT meant to be a list of gripes. Just a few points that I've encountered and I have also heard other Fellows (old or new) acknowledge or agree with. Where I make suggestions for improvements they are simply that - a starting point for a discussion leading, where possible, to action.
Some of these questions are answered in the website(s). If you think an answer is there please reply and post a link.
1. Do you understand how Fellows relate to the RSA?
You might want to read this and see if you agree
2. How do I manage the relationship between being a member of the RSA and my 'day job' are there potential conflicts of interest or areas to take care with?
3. How do I engage with other Fellows?
4. How do I engage with external individuals and organisations on a project?
5. Where do I start with projects?
6. Can I really just set up my own project?
7. What's the best starting point online? LinkedIn? Blogs here? Forums??? What's the custom and practice?
(You might want to take a look at this link if you want to get involved in, discussion about digital engagement)
8. Would these questions be better posted elsewhere?
9. How does my region meet/work together?
10. If I have an idea do I just 'go for it' or talk to someone first (who)?
(Thanks to David Wilcox et al for modelling some really helpful blogs linked to in 1. and 7, above)
If you have answers to any of the questions sharing them here would be welcomed by at least one new Fellow.
If you agree that a question is relevant to you and you don't know the answer - I'd love to know
If you have other questions of a similar nature please feel free to add them to this discussion.
Once I've tested the water, if there's a real need, we can think about introductory videos or FAQs or New Members areas etc etc. I just want to see a bit more of the lie of the land first.
Add a Comment